Classic foods you might think of in New York includes bagels, pizza, and food truck items. However, there is more to authentic Italian cuisine in New York that is quickly catching on in other states. Anyone wanting to experience a warm, healthy, and delicious side dish, should check out this famous Utica greens recipe.
What are Utica Greens?
Utica greens are a tasty dish made from a combination of sautéed escarole and flavored with pancetta or prosciutto along with sautéed onions, garlic, and hot cherry peppers before being broiled under a blanket of Romano cheese and bread crumbs. Utica greens have been a staple of Italian-American kitchens for a long time.
Ingredients You'll Need to Craft This Dish
1. Escarole: Utica greens are traditionally made using escarole, which is a bitter, leafy green vegetable that resembles romaine lettuce. Variations are sometimes made with kale or chard if escarole isn't available.
2. Pancetta or Prosciutto: Either of these salty cured hams adds flavor and a meaty bite to the greens.
3. Pickled Cherry Peppers: These peppers are fairly hot, and give these greens a classic Italian flavor. While how much you add can be adjusted to meet your spice level, don't skip them entirely.
4. Breadcrumbs: Many chefs recommend using Italian-style fine breadcrumbs for this recipe rather than panko crumbs.
5. Grated Cheese: This dish can be prepared using one or a combination of Pecorino, Romano, or Parmesan cheese.
6. Olive Oil: Use regular olive oil or avocado oil for this recipe, as it has a higher heat level than extra virgin olive oil.
7. Garlic and Onions: Finely chopped onions and garlic add a savory flavor and interest to this dish.
8. Dried Oregano, Salt, and Pepper: Freshly ground herbs are best, but dried are acceptable to use in a pinch.
Remember, the specific amounts of each ingredient to add will vary depending on how many servings you're making. In time, you'll master the ingredient levels according to your needs and personal taste.
Preparation Instructions for the Greens Morelle Famous Side Italian Dish
The first step is to wash your greens, and it's a good idea to blanch them for a few minutes to curb any bitterness. Then chop the greens to a size of your liking. Mix the cheese, seasonings, breadcrumbs, and enough olive oil to make them resemble wet sand. Saute the garlic and onions in olive oil, add prosciutto, and cook until it's crispy on top.
In an oven-friendly casserole dish, put in the chopped greens and the sauteed mixture, stir them until they are well blended, and top them with breadcrumbs. Broil just long enough to crisp the topping. Utica greens are an excellent main dish, and they nicely complement other Italian dishes as a healthy side. The final step is to enjoy your tasty creation!
For more information about Utica dishes, such as a greens morelle, reach out to a local service.Share
25 July 2023
There are a lot of different things that can set your restaurant back financially, but one of the biggest problems is issues with food sourcing. I used to source different ingredients from a bunch of local distributors until I realized that I could save a lot of money by working with national food suppliers. I want other people to realize how to resolve some of the most common restaurant ownership challenges, which is why I decided to focus on this blog. Check out these posts to learn more about how to run your restaurant, how to handle difficulties, and how to make your business more profitable than ever before.